Thursday, October 1, 2009

2nd Opinion

Today was check-up day for Mr. Jonathan at the eye doctors. Here's a mini update on our journey thus far:
  • July 3, 2009 - diagnosed amblyopia and prescribed glasses for farsightedness (+3.50)
  • July 6, 2009 - purchased glasses and began improving vision
  • August 3, 2009 - 1 month check up - began atropine drops to help strengthen weak eye
  • August 10, 2009 - 1 wk check up - stopped drops and began patching with adhesive patches
  • August 12, 2009 - reaction to adhesive - immediately stopped patching
  • August 20, 2009 - received alternative patch and resumed patching
  • September 10, 2009 - 3 wk patch check up - positive improvement, continue patching
  • October 1, 2009 - 6 wk patch check up - which leads us to today...
I've constantly feared the "S" word and finally it was uttered today...Surgery. Jonathan's eyes have improved (vision) but his muscle is still weak thus causing the eye to turn inward. I listened to our current optometrist and politely informed him that we'd like a referral to a pediatric specialist in the Waterville area. Josh and I had always said, prior to our appointments, that if surgery was ever mentioned that we would request a second opinion. Nothing to do with the ability of our optometrist but rather Jonathan's age. Surgery requires sedation, which from what I have read, is the riskiest part of the surgery. Surgery itself, typically has an 80% success rate on the first try with someone Jonathan's age, but there is the possibility of needing follow-up surgeries.

So with that said we are (I am) patiently waiting for the referral to Waterville and to see what is suggested and Jonathan will continue patching every other day as to prevent reverse amblyopia. Thankfully I have packing and painting to keep my mind off of things!

1 comment:

  1. That is so great that Jonathan's eye is improving! Otto is on his first month of patching we have an appointment in Waterville on Thursday to check the progress but I haven't noticed any. I hear so many stories from people that their children had to patch for 6-8 years...I am so scared that is going to happen for Otto. Will you be seeing Dr. Lavin in Waterville? If so he is really good with kids! Dr. Lavin told us that Otto will need surgery to stop his eye from turning in once they get his eye seeing well enough. I am horrified that they will be sedating my little boy for it! =( Otto has to patch 24 hours on weekends and no school days and after school every other day...I can't wait for the day that we are told we can do it every other day!

    ReplyDelete