Wednesday, February 18, 2009
Ear Plugs Anyone?
Perhaps someday soon I will video this in action but for now let me explain Jonathan's newest obsession, screeching....very, very, loudly! He's not having full blow temper tantrums nor is he even having a melt down, he's just screeching. In a 3 hour time span he screeched about 4 times, piercing my ear drums. I remember when he was little he used to cry and screech, similar to this new found love but not nearly the same. I truly, honestly think he's doing this out of frustration, almost as if he can't communicate what he wants therefore he gets frustrated and screeches. Either that or it's just fun to hear the sounds he can make. Jonathan is a very cause-and-effect little boy. He loves to bang on things just to hear the sounds they make. A future drummer indeed! My idea, and perhaps it's a counselors method to parenting, but each time I've sat down next to him, calmly said his name, looked him in the eye and asked that he not screech like that. I've been told it's not working however he's not 15 he's 15-months and it's going to take time before he understands what he's doing is unacceptable. Suggestions in coping with this deafening sound? Please send them my way!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
What we did with Lainey specifically because she used to grunt at things and grunt at us is that we use the correct words she needed to communicate what she wanted and then was just consistent with it and patient. It paid off. With Maddy we used the same methods. He's in that stage right now between not having a huge vocabulary and developing one so you can speed it along by consistently and persistently using the words he needs. I know it sounds silly to tell a 15 month old to use his words but eventually it will work ;-) Both our kids vocab exploded around 18 months so patience and perseverance and he'll be talking instead of screeching in no time! =)
ReplyDeleteThanks! Most often he's screeching and it's hard to determine what it is that he's trying to say. I've been using words, like if he's at my feet acting as if he wants up I'll say "up" or if he acts hungry/thirsty I'll say "drink/food". Hopefully it will pay off but right now it's something special!
ReplyDelete