Monday, March 30, 2009

On the hunt

Long story short or short story long....where to begin....

I touched base with our daycare provider last night, being nice and double checking that we could pick Jonathan up a bit later than usual, and was surprisingly informed that her middle daughter (the one whom has been sick for some time now) spiked a fever of 102. She wasn't closing the daycare but she was informing me as we have the option to pull him for the day (still paying of course). ::sigh:: Taking our chances (like we have in the past) we sent him anyways. I could see the exhaustion and stress in her eyes when I dropped him off this morning. "I'm not going to lie, this is difficult for me to do..." she says as she informs me that she's giving her notice and closing the daycare. Understandably, it's difficult for her to be an energized wife, mother to 3 children, and a provider for 2 outside children when she is constantly being pulled in 100 and 1 different directions. I'm anxious and apprehensive in finding a new daycare facility. We're exploring many different options as we only, truly, need care from April 27 to June 30. I've called three different "facilities" and each one doesn't settle well with me. There is no doubt that I believe Jonathan could benefit from and would like a larger group of kiddos to play with, however 35 kids feels excessive to me! I've also called a few different "in home" centers and I'm leaning in favor of these. My cousin has expressed interest in helping us out however she has classes twice a week which leaves us having to find coverage. Decisions, decisions...no one ever warned me that finding/keeping childcare would be this much of a hassle and headache!! OY

1 comment:

  1. Have you tried Parkside? It's over by UCB. When Wing Park closed (the daycare I worked at) a lot of the teachers started over there. Usually the state regulates 1 on 4 for kids 1 year and under and then 1 on 5 for adult-child ratio for 18 months-27 months and then 1 on 10 for 3-4 year olds.

    ReplyDelete