Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Spoon Fed

If you know me well enough then you wouldn't be surprised that I still feed Jonathan myself. Most everything I feed him - bananas, grilled cheese, pasta, oatmeal, eggs, applesauce, and the list goes on. There are some exceptions - green beans, carrots, cereal (dry of course), crackers, graham crackers, finger foods mostly. The reasoning and logic behind this? Well, I can't say it's 100% intentional. Jonathan has shown signs of interest in using his utensils and occasionally, I stress occasionally, I have allowed him the opportunity to feed himself. Mainly, I'm obsessive compulsive (undiagnosed) and selfish. Have you met our son lately? He's 100% all boy. He likes to mush carrots in his hands just to feel them squish. He throws his cup on the floor when he's done just to make a point. With all of this being said, he has a tendency to throw food on the floor (tonight it was from his tray into his lap) and if I'm honest I don't want to clean up messes after every meal. I have been adventurous in the past allowing him the opportunity to feed himself anything from spaghetti to yogurt and tonight custard. I knew we were in for the night and figured why shouldn't Tuesday be a bath night!

He's mastering the technique rather well I must admit. Practice makes perfect does it not?

In his defense, the custard was slippery so the hands were necessary

It's not about how it gets there it's about getting it there!

By the end of dinner there was custard in his lap, in his hair, on his shoulder, and amazingly...in his shirt. With that said it was only fitting that our next stop be the bath.

No comments:

Post a Comment