Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Surgery Day

I feel as if today has flown by, which in my opinion is a good thing. We stayed in Waterville last night as Jonathan was due into the hospital at 7:15 am. I have to admit he was as wonderful as wonderful gets. From last nights stay in the hotel to today's events....he amazes me.

Jonathan enjoyed playing on our king sized bed

We were at Maine General by 7am where we met by both grandmothers - they were kind enough to travel down at such an early hour. Jonathan was taken back into his room fairly quickly, however from here things were not as quick as Josh and I had imagined them being. Our doctor checked in with us twice, making sure we were comfortable with the procedure. He did tell us that Jonathan's eye(s) turn in roughly 17-18 degrees - normal would be less than 5 and he was in hopes that the surgery would get his eyes to turn less than 10.

They gave Jonathan a mask to get comfortable with
He made sure to teach Doggie too


It wasn't until about 8:45 am when Jonathan was officially taken back into the OR. He was a brave babe who walked holding my hand unsure of what what to come. He was wonderful as we entered the OR but quickly became uncomfortable. I think having everyone in scrubs and wearing masks scared him more than anything. Only one parent was able to go back with him as he was administered the anesthesia, which was a bummer, but I'm glad Josh let me go.

After Jonathan was back in surgery, we all decided to go grab some food in the cafeteria. I will admit, I ate my food rather quick as I wanted to head back to the waiting room for I was fearful that we'd miss the doctor. It was said that from the time I left him to the time we saw him again would only be 35-45 minutes. It was about 9:30 am when the nurse came to take us back into the recovery room.

The recovery room....horrible! Absolutely horrible! This was THE hardest part for Josh and THE hardest part for me. Jonathan was just waking up from the anesthesia and he was extremely groggy, floppy, and agitated. Nothing could console him and his eyes were blood red from where the incisions were made. When he cried his tears were pink and his runny nose was tinged with blood - all normal. Unsure of whether or not he was feeling pain, they did give him some morphine to help calm him. We were in the recovery room for about 30 minutes before we went back to his original room. This helped but the honeymoon didn't last for long. He quickly became agitated again. Finally, the nurse removed his IV which, without question, made him feel more comfortable.

Finally sipping some apple juice

Around 11:30 am Jonathan had proven that he could drink and eat and we were released to head home. It wasn't until about Newport that he fell asleep but regardless, he rode home much better than any of us could have imagined. He is amazing!

Curious to see where we were headed
Anxious (I'm sure) to be home

Once home Jonathan was not himself. He was quiet, pale, and pretty drowsy. He had some juice and crackers and before too long laid down for a nap, which lasted 3.5 hours! Amazingly when he woke up, after having some more food and juice, he was himself again, playing around on the floor with Josh. This was a beautiful sight.

Home looking out the window. You can see the inside of his right eye is red.
This where the incision was made, which is all normal.
It will remain this way for a few weeks.

All and all I'd have to say things went better than expected. I was proud of myself for not being nervous and for remaining calm the entire time. This was very surprising for me. I admit, I did shed a few tears when he was being put under, mainly because he was crying and got the best of me. I credit my comfort to reading any and all information I could get my hands on. I watched the youtube video of a similar surgery and read a lot on the blog Little Four Eyes. Jonathan has a follow up appointment tomorrow afternoon in Waterville and from there we'll get the full run down on exactly how things are and what to expect from here on out. He will have to continue wearing his glasses (for now) and may need to continue patching. There is also a 20% change that he may need a second surgery. Lets hope for the best! Update to come tomorrow.

2 comments:

  1. We're glad things went pretty well, you're right he is one tough cookie! Evan wants to play so let us know when Jonathan is ready for "Run Jonathan Run" Evan's way of playing.
    Thinking of you all,

    Your Neighbors!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the update! I'm so glad that things went well. Zoe had the same reaction coming out of anesthesia - and hating her IV. I hope the follow-up goes smoothly. He looks great in that final picture.

    Ann from Little Four Eyes

    ReplyDelete